Have Dental Trauma? We Can Help
By Emergency Dental Center
December 11, 2018
Tags: Dental Trauma  

We all know the phrase, "Stuff happens." It applies to your oral health, too, particularly if you experience a dental trauma such as a lost filling or broken tooth. In Manhattan, the go-to dentist is Dr. David Dane at the Emergency Dental Center. He and his team provide a wide range of preventive, restorative and cosmetic services and are ready at a moment's notice to help you in an emergency.

What is dental trauma?

A blow to the mouth from a sudden fall or car accident can cause a dental trauma such as a cracked or avulsed tooth, dislocated jaw, broken bridgework, or lost filling. These situations need quick and competent first aid and in-office treatment immediately.

Additional urgent situations include displaced teeth, severe toothache, jaw swelling and a lost or fractured denture, veneer, or crown. When you call Emergency Dental Center in Manhattan and describe your dental trauma, a competent and caring staff member will tell you how to stabilize your condition and arrange a same-day appointment as needed. If you're in trouble, you can call our number 24/7 and receive a rapid response.

Specific emergencies and what to do

Of course, Dr. Dane believes prevention can avoid sudden, pressing problems. That's why he offers an extensive menu of preventive services, such as cleanings, fillings and sealants, all aimed at keeping your teeth and gums healthy for life. In fact, he calls it the "Lifetime Treatment Plan."

However, when emergencies happen, you can help yourself or a loved one increase the chances of saving a tooth. Here are some guidelines:

Avulsed, or knocked out tooth: Dr. Dane probably can replant it if he sees you within an hour of injury, says the American Association of Endodontists. Rinse the tooth with water, and place it roots down into the empty socket. Hold it while going to the Emergency Dental Center, or place it in a sealed container with milk, saliva or water. If a tooth is simply loosened, your dentist may splint it to neighboring teeth.

Cracked tooth, crown or filling: Save the pieces and bring them to the office. Composite resin is a durable, tooth-colored material commonly used to repair chips and cracks. Your dentist may simply cement a crown back in place.

A throbbing toothache: Often accompanied by jaw and gum swelling, a toothache is an abscess, or infection, of interior dental pulp. Take over the counter analgesics, and ice your jaw.

Be informed

With dental trauma, try not to panic, but be forearmed with first aid knowledge and the phone number at Emergency Dental Center in Manhattan, NY. Call us at the first sign of trouble at (646) 992-0930.