Broken tooth? A random accident, falling, or biting down on something hard can cause a tooth to break. Thankfully, your smile is not beyond repair. Emergency Dental Center, which is located in New York, NY, offers a complete range of dental services, including emergency care. Here are several tips on handling a broken tooth.
1. Rinse Your Mouth- Your mouth is full of bacteria, and an injury can get infected easily. Rinse your mouth using warm salt water to dislodge any food debris and help to prevent infection. Swish the rinse around your mouth for one minute. Concentrate on the injured area.
2. Use a Cold Pack- If you are in pain, a cold pack can help. Place a cold compress on your face where the broken tooth is. This will help reduce swelling and relieve pain. Apply a cold compress alternating 10 minutes on, 5 minutes off. Apply a cold compress to the injured area a few times a day for as long as you have pain and swelling.
3. Take Pain Medicine- Take an over-the-counter pain relief medication, if needed. Ibuprofen (Advil) is usually preferred over acetaminophen (Tylenol) because ibuprofen reduces swelling in addition to treating pain. Don't place aspirin on the toothache site, as this can burn the gums and other soft tissues of the mouth.
4. Use Gauze Pads- To stop bleeding, apply pressure to the injured area with sterile gauze pads or paper towels. Bite on the compress with pressure for about 10 minutes or until the bleeding stops. Repeat if necessary. If bleeding continues, see your emergency dentist as soon as possible.
5. Avoid Hard Foods- If your tooth is broken, it's already weak and it can no longer support chewing hard foods. Hard foods could make the crack worse and cause pain. Stick to soft foods and avoid using your broken tooth to chew. If possible, chew on the other side of your mouth.
6. Call Your Dentist- If your tooth is broken, your New York, NY, dentist can make it look whole and healthy again. If your broken tooth involves minor damage to the enamel, your dentist may place a filling or crown over the tooth. Composite bonding is also a way to repair chipped and cracked teeth.
When you break a tooth, you should see an emergency dentist right away. Call Emergency Dental Center at 646-992-0930 now to schedule an appointment in New York, NY. We will help you achieve real relief with little expense or trouble.